Saturday 9 January 2016

January surfing, anyone??

There have been some big waves in these parts over the past couple of days!!!
Check here  for a CBC news article about the situation.

I got all geared up last night, mounted my camera on my new tripod that Santa
delivered, and made a plan to head out early this morning, to "catch some waves".
I am quite sure, however, that when you hear people say that, it usually means
something quite different that what I did.

Early rise-minus 7 Celsius, but with a huge travel mug filled with piping
hot coffee------off I went. to get a few shots.  First, I drove right over by the
ocean, here in Flatrock. It was really cold, and as I was driving the appoximately
1.5 km to the lookout point, I was hoping I wouldn't be disappointed--
---I wasn't! 

The thunderous roar of the waves was almost hypnotizing, and I wasn't
the first, or only one out taking pictures.

Wow, right about where these huge waves are crashing, is where I often sit 
during the summer, after one of my walks on the trail just up over the 
other side of these rocks.


 I took these two shots from another viewing point in Flatrock.  
The surf was crashing right in over the wharf.

After chatting with a few other brave souls, I decided to head on over to
Torbay, just a the other side of Flatrock.  There is a beautiful little Anglican
church there.  The church sits on the hillside,with a little graveyard just down
over the bank overlooking the ocean. 

 I wondered if I might get a nice shot from the church yard......
what do you think?  




By now I was getting pretty cold, and my coffee was all gone.  However, I
decided that since I was out, I may as well check out Middle Cove Beach.
It was only a few minutes away, but is quite a tourist attraction any time of year.
With the news of the big waves, I expected huge crowds, and thought
I would just do a drive-by.  I was pleasantly surprised--there was only about six
vehicles in the car park, so I parked, grabbed my camera and
headed to the beach area.
I didn't actually go down on the beach, as the waves were really coming in
there, but did manage to snap a couple of shots....

I came back home,sat in front of a roaring fire, and ate delicious left-over fish & brewis
with strong, hot coffee for my breakfast--just like mom used to make!!

Cheers
:)

10 comments:

  1. I don't understand people taking chances along the shoreline like that but some will take chances.

    Ahhh...home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the majestic waves. Terrific captures.
    Cozy afterglow too. Nice way to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such beautiful white waves!I like the combination of the wave and the snow shore.
    You are such a brave woman! So glad you were safe!
    The Japanese is the place frequent typhoons go though in spring and autumn.
    Also, we experienced some big tsunami caused by earthquakes, which washed way many people. The Japanese are terrified and more sensitive to the warning.

    Thank you for your concern about my mother-in-law 95. She does not care anything as she forgets anything in a few seconds. There is no worries and hope as well. One strong will she has is that she never wants to live in a nursing home. My husband and I rely on some visiting care givers a couple of days a week. It is sad to see a person is getting senile, but forgetting anything is the last gift from God, I believe.
    Have a good new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such beautiful white waves!I like the combination of the wave and the snow shore.
    You are such a brave woman! So glad you were safe!
    The Japanese is the place frequent typhoons go though in spring and autumn.
    Also, we experienced some big tsunami caused by earthquakes, which washed way many people. The Japanese are terrified and more sensitive to the warning.

    Thank you for your concern about my mother-in-law 95. She does not care anything as she forgets anything in a few seconds. There is no worries and hope as well. One strong will she has is that she never wants to live in a nursing home. My husband and I rely on some visiting care givers a couple of days a week. It is sad to see a person is getting senile, but forgetting anything is the last gift from God, I believe.
    Have a good new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks exciting. Now you have a tripod you can play with long exposures. You get a lovely milky, smokey effect with rough seas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thinking about the cold is enough to do me in, much less actually getting out in it! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up by the sea, the other side of the Atlantic, and I loved the stormy days when the waves were so powerful. Wonderful pictures, I wish I was there right now with you! I love visiting Middle Cove beach, one of my favourite places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up by the sea, the other side of the Atlantic, and I loved the stormy days when the waves were so powerful. Wonderful pictures, I wish I was there right now with you! I love visiting Middle Cove beach, one of my favourite places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful! The photos taken from the church yard are stunning. It has been many years since we were in Canada and when I see your photos I feel we must go for a visit someday. We have a few friends in Swan River and also Elmira- Ontario. Your area of the country is lovely!! Hope this new year brings you good health and happiness. Hope to see more postings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots of the ocean crashing against the shore. To my eternal shame, Newfoundland is the only province in our country I have never visited.

    ReplyDelete