Saturday 25 February 2017

Smoked Capelin with Patridgeberry Jam on Bread

I love Saturdays!  I love to get up and enjoy a coffee....or two, while I listen to my 
favourite CBC radio station.  I mull over my plans for the weekend and decide
how I want to spend my day.  
This morning, hubby mentioned that "we" are getting low on patridgeberry jam.  
So,  first thing on my list this morning--make jam. 

As I was filling the jars, I thought of how my mom and dad loved patridgeberry 
jam, and how it was a staple in our home, as it was in most rural Newfoundland 
homes when I was growing up.  
Mom used to make patridgeberry tarts and squares, and sometimes served fresh, 
still-warm patridgeberry jam  as a sauce over steamed dumplings for dessert. 
It seems like most of my food memories from growing up are of fish, and there was 
always an accompaniment of patridgeberry "something or other".

I suddenly knew what we would have for lunch, and pulled a bag of hubby's smoked 
capelin from the deep freeze.  
Roasted smoked capelin, bread with patridgeberry jam and steeped tea. 
 Y-U-M-M-Y!!! 

I remember how, as kids, we would grumble over the smell of roasting fish, or any fish being cooked.  Now, I cherish it and consider myself lucky and privileged to live in a
place where we have access to fresh fish, especially capelin

Hubby was outside most of the morning, snow-blowing and preparing our outdoor fireplace
for a big evening fire.  
He was pleasantly surprised to smell smoked capelin roasting when he came inside 
and wandered into the kitchen.  
He is usually the official fish cooker-upper at our house! 

Anyway, here are a few snaps of our simple, traditional feast .......


 




Of course, in light of today's post, I have to give honorable mention to my capelin trivet.
A gift from Rana  :) 


In closing, I'd like to encourage you to pop over here, to see some fabulous capelin art, by Newfoundland artist, Janet Davis of Norton Cove Studio.

Hope you all enjoy your weekend.
Cheers
:)

9 comments:

  1. Kathleen, the jam and the capelin look yummy! The buns don't look too shabby either! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were closer, you would be certainly welcome to come and share!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really delicious! And funny you should mention Janet Davis, I have a linocut print by her, hanging on my kitchen wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say you haven't lived until you're tasted patridgeberry jam. So ... I haven't lived then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow---I tend to agree. Talk about a flavor explosion....if you like tart, you'll LOVE patridgeberries.
    I sometimes take a bowlful out of the freezer and just before they are totally thawed, I love to eat them, no sugar-just crunchy tart deliciousness!!

    If you come to the rock,and make it to capital city area, you'll have to let me know. You would certainly be welcome to drop by our house, and I'll make a point to have patridgeberry something or other for you...at least a bottle of the ruby colored goodness to take back home with you---haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the plug, Kathleen!
    My favorite way to have partridgeberries these days is with dark chocolate and almonds (my friend Joanne Wiley is responsible). But I will always love memories of having partridgeberry jam mixed with tin milk in a saucer with fresh homemade bread at nan's house in Newtown with a cup of tea.
    Lovely post!
    All the best...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pleasure....and now you've made me so curious. How do you enjoy eating patridgeberries, dark chocolate and almonds...is it a muffin?? Do tell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, we just returned from 18 wonderful days in Newfoundland. I was stationed in Argentia Navy Base back in 1962 to 1966, and loved every minute of it. Map Times of catching Capilen came to mind, so when we got home we found a deli that sold smoked capilen so we bought a package of it. What I don’t remember is how it was eaten. Do you eat it hot, cold, in a paste with crackers, or how? Any recommendations?

      Delete